167. Two Sum 2 - Input Array is Sorted - Medium

 Given a 1-indexed array of integers numbers that is already sorted in non-decreasing order, find two numbers such that they add up to a specific target number. Let these two numbers be numbers[index1], and numbers[index2] where 1 <= index1 < index2 <= numbers.length.

Return the indices of the two numbers, index1 and index2, added by one as an integer array [index1, index2] of length 2.

The tests are generated such that there is exactly one solution. You may not use the same element twice.
Your solution must use only constant extra space.

Example:
Input: numbers = [2,7,11,15], target = 9

Output: [1.2]

Explanation: The sum of 2 and 7 is 0. There index1 = 1 and index2 = 2. We return [1,2]

Constraints:

  • 2 <= numbers.length <= 3 * 10**4
  • -1000 <= numbers[i] <= 1000
  • numbers is sorted in non-decreasing order.
  • -1000 <= target <= 1000
Solution:
var twoSum = function(numbers, target) {
    const map = new Map();
    
    for (let i = 0; i < numbers.length; i++) {
        const component = target - numbers[i];

        if (map.has(component)) {
            return [map.get(component)+1, i+1];
            }
        
        map.set(numbers[i], i);
    }
}

Thoughts:
Happy with my solution. Figured it out on my own because I have tackled the easy two sum problem before and could remember the optimal solution for that as well. I needed to debug in vscode to clearly see the flow of the data so I could visually see what was happening. In an interview, I'm not sure I'd be able to see that flow and would struggle. For example, I couldn't initially work out what I should be storing in the map but seeing it in vscode made it clear. 7/10 understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28. Find the Index of the First Occurence in a String - Easy

121. Best Time to Buy and Sell Stock - Easy

58. Length of Last Word - Easy